Since 2003, I've been using GoDaddy, the world's leading domain registrar, for all of my domain names and hosting. And I continue to use them because I've had nothing but great experiences; they offer great rates, great customer service and they make it easy to configure everything with WordPress!
So, to start, here's a little background information for you: A domain name usually costs around $15 a year and the cheapest web hosting plan is $83.88 a year (or $6.99 a month.) Both of these combined, without discounts, would total out to be about $98.88 for the year (before taxes.)
I'm going to show you to get 1-year of hosting for just $1 a month PLUS get a free domain name! That's saving you a total of $86.88!
Now, if you aren't sure what heck is the difference between a domain name and a hosting plan, check out my blog post, "Domain Name & Web Hosting; What is the Difference?" and then come back to this blog post.
HERE'S HOW TO GET YOUR FREE DOMAIN NAME
1. Set Up Your GoDaddy Account
2. Choose Your Plan
- Choose your hosting plan by clicking here.
- Select the "Economy Hosting Plan" (if you plan on building just 1 website.)
- Enter in the domain name you want.
- Choose term length for each (I usually do 12 months, but you can do 24 or 36 months or longer for a bigger savings.)
- If you do a year, your total should come out to $12.18 with taxes.
- You may also want to get the private domain option for an additional $7.99 a year (click here to read why.)
- If you choose to get a private domain, your total should now be $20.17.
- Click "Proceed to Checkout."
3. Enter Your Payment Info
- Check your billing info and payment info.
- Agree to the terms.
- Click "Place Your Order."
ANNND YOU'RE DONE! 🙂
NEED HELP SETTING UP YOUR SITE?
JOIN THE CLOUD9 NEWSLETTER
Enter your email to get new insights, wisdom + ideas sent straight into your inbox. Plus be the first to know of any news, secret promos, sweet treats and other fun surprises!